Accessing Extra Glyphs and Swashes is easy in Inkscape and can make your designs look incredible!
We’ll be using Lovely Melissa for today’s inkscape tutorial, a gorgeous font which comes with 900 glyphs.
Lovely Melissa Comparison between Glyphs disabled and enabled:
Accessing Font Glyphs in Inkscape on PC
Accessing Font Glyphs in Inkscape on Mac
To access the Lovely Melissa additional Glyphs in Inkscape on Mac, follow the following steps:
- Install the .OTF version of the font as normal.
- Launch Inkscape.
- Using the type tool on the left toolbar, create a text block and enter some text (here we have put ‘hello’).
- Double click your text block to highlight the text you created.
- In the text panel top left, select ‘Lovely Melissa’ as your font.
- Highlight the character you wish to replace with a fancy glyph.
- Open Mac’s built in ‘Font Book’. On PC, use the Character map tutorial to find your required glyphs.
Copy the Glyph you wish to you using Cmd + C or Edit > Copy.
- Paste it into inkscape using Ctrl + V or Edit > Paste.
- The Glyph will now be replaced with your advanced, swirly amazing design!